Can I claim my car donation as a tax deduction?
Yes. MERS/Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charity organization. Contributions, including car donations, may be claimed as deductions on your federal tax return if you itemize on Schedule A of Form 1040.
How much can I deduct?
• Once Goodwill sells your car, the selling price becomes the amount of your donation.
• If your car sells for more than $500, you may deduct the full selling price.
What documentation will I receive for my tax return?
• After the car has been sold, you will receive a receipt providing the vehicle sale information. This receipt may be used for tax deduction purposes; additional tax documents, will be provided when required by IRS regulations as a result of the sale value of the car.
Where can I get more information?
Consult your tax adviser or refer to any of these IRS Publications on the IRS website: http://www.irs.gov
- Publication 4303, A Donor’s Guide to Vehicle Donations
- Publication 526, Charitable Contributions
- Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property
- Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions
- Instructions for Form 8283
Use our online form CLICK HERE to submit
Please contact us at your local Goodwill office, if you have any questions: